New York attack: Donald Trump vows ‘extreme vetting’ of foreign travellers

Donald Trump

In the aftermath of the first deadly attack in New York blamed on terror since the September 11, 2001 carnage in the city, President Donald Trump said today he had ordered more robust “extreme vetting” of travellers coming into the United States.

At least eight people were killed and 11 other injured in Lower Manhattan today after a gunman in a truck plowed through a busy bike path, an incident the US termed as an “act of terrorism”.

The suspect, 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov said to be from Uzbekistan, was shot in the stomach before being arrested.

“I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!” Trump tweeted.

His administration announced last week that it would resume accepting refugees after a 120-day ban, though arrivals from 11 “high-risk” countries, most of them home to Muslim majorities, will still be blocked.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of today’s terrorist attack in New York City and their families,” Trump had said in a statement after the attack.
Earlier, the US president took to Twitter to decry the attack, saying “we must not allow to return”.
READ MORE

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s